And this being Germany in the 20th century there will be many occasions when she has to find her best advantage, whether to get ahead or simply survive.
In fact for all that it features the most famous rice since Anneka in a chest binder and vest, with a lucky rabbit's foot providing a bulge in her red Y-fronts, this feels a lot less like a play about gender and bending it, a lot more like the story of a Mother Courage figure who'll survive at all costs, especially if those costs are to someone else, to get to her comfortable retirement of drinking beer in front of the TV.
There's a remarkable five minutes in Karge's play where Ella reenacts the days of a prisoner kept in a cell by a sadistic SA officer, only to casually reveal at the end that she was the officer not the prisoner. It makes the play's argument about the twisted morality of the survivor beautifully, the trouble is there's another 90 minutes of Stephen Unwin's expressionistic production around it.
This features Swinton roaming around scribbling on Bunny Christie's white box set, putting on various coats as she takes on new personas, and squirting ketchup on the walls. It's German, is what I'm saying. And as so often with European directors' theatre I'm left thinking maybe this is all disguising a script that doesn't really rise up to its premise and that I eventually found very dull. I've seen Man to Man before and wasn't convinced then, but this extended version - it now also takes in fascism rising again in the 21st century - I found a slog. I think I liked Tilda better when she was Tom Lenk dressed in bubblewrap.
Man to Man by Manfred Karge in a version by Anthony Vivis revised by Stephen Unwin is booking until the 24th of October at the Royal Court's Jerwood Theatre Downstairs (returns and rush tickets only) then touring to Edinburgh, Berlin and New York.
Running time: 1 hour 35 minutes straight through.
Photo credit: Ruediger Glatz.




We saw exactly the same play.
ReplyDeleteI thought it would be a brilliant 15 minute play in this format but it should've ended at 25 at most. The person next to me fell asleep about 45 minutes into the show and I envied them.
Tilda Swinton was perfect but id pay money not to see it again.
Ps if you get a chance to see the Liberace play at Pitlochry it's soooo good!